Students who are unable to major or minor in Latino and Caribbean Studies may earn the Certificate in Latino and Caribbean Studies with 9 credits in LCS (595) coursework. The certificate is conferred to students at the time of graduation but they need to register with us once they know they plan to participate in the Certificate so we know to grant the Certificate through Degree Navigator.
Students who complete the Certificate in Latino and Caribbean Studies will become familiar with interdisciplinary approaches and develop multi- and inter-cultural competence and sensitivity to issues particular to Latinx and/or Caribbean experience(s).
Note: In Degree Navigator the subject code for the Certificate is 591. The code for the major and minor is 595.
- Students must complete 9 credits of coursework in Latino and Caribbean Studies (595)
- Students must achieve a minimum grade of C for all courses
- Up to three credits may be taken on a Pass/No Credit basis
- Students who earn the Major or Minor in Latino and Caribbean Studies may not also earn the Certificate in Latino and Caribbean Studies.
- The three courses may be taken in the Department of Latino and Caribbean Studies (595 designation) or from another department offering courses that are cross-listed with LCS.