- Instructor: Ramos, Robert
Fulfills “Culture and Creative Expressions” Distribution for LCS Major and Elective for LCS Minor
This class surveys the major styles of Caribbean and Latino/a American music. We investigate music as socio-cultural constructions, but we will also dissect the rhythmic constructions and typical instrumentation that provide music with its recognizable qualities. We will explore folkloric and popular music of the Caribbean and Latino/a America, concentrating on the development of urban musical phenomenon as expressions of marginalized groups. Discussions will be based on course materials including recordings, articles, videos, guest lectures, and workshops.
- Required Reading:
- Reading length ranges from 50 to 100 pages per week.
- Readings and other materials are in Canvas.
- Consult Rutgers Barnes & Noble for current books for the course.
- Weekly Reading Journals = 25%
- Class Participation = 25%
- Midterm Essay or Concert Review (4-6 pages) = 25%
- Final Project = 25%
- Credits: 3
- Disclaimer: The information in this course description is subject to change. For up-to-date course information, please refer to the syllabus on your course site (e.g. Canvas).